Prior to your operation, it is important that your bowel is totally empty in preparation for your intended surgery.
Please read this leaflet carefully and follow the instructions that apply to the timing of your hospital admission.
You will need to start taking Picolax the day before your operation. You must not eat any solid food while taking Picolax. Drink as much clear liquid as possible to avoid dehydration, prevent the feeling of hunger and to ensure bowel is well prepared.
Picolax normally starts to work within half an hour and may continue to work for up to 6 hours after the first sachet and 3 hours after the second sachet have been taken. It is therefore important that you must be near a toilet and be prepared to stay at home.
- Take regular medication at least one hour before or one hour after taking Picolax.
- Diuretics (water tablets) should be temporarily discontinued on the day of administration of Picolax. A list of diuretics can be found below.
- Certain types of anti-hypertensives (to lower your blood pressure) called ACE inhibitors and Angiotensin 2 receptor antagonists should be discontinued on the day of administration of Picolax and withheld until 72 hours after the procedure. A list of ACE inhibitors and Angiotensin 2 receptor antagonists can be found below.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (a type of painkiller) should be discontinued 5 days before surgery and withheld until 72 hours after the procedure. A list of anti-inflammatory drugs can be found below.
- If you take an Oral contraceptive pills for the purposes of not becoming pregnant you must use another form of contraception for 1 week after taking Picolax as Picolax may reduce the effectiveness of the pill.
If you have any questions or concerns about stopping your medicines or which medicines you need to stop please contact us or your GP.
2 days before your operation
Only eat liquid foods (e.g. soup) or liquidised normal foods.
The day before your Operation:
ONLY DRINK CLEAR FLUIDS – AVOID EATING ANY FOOD.
TAKE THE FIRST SACHET OF PICOLAX AT 8AM
TAKE THE SECOND SACHET OF PICOLAX AT 2PM
ON THE DAY OF YOUR OPERATION
You can continue to drink clear fluids until 2 hours before your operation
How to make up the Picolax sachets
Stir the contents of the first sachet with a cup or glass of cold water and drink when dissolved.
Then drink a further litre (2 pints) of clear fluid over the next 2 hours.
What to do if you are ill less than 3 days before you are due to take Picolax
If you have an illness (e.g. Diarrhoea and vomiting, heavy cold, the “flu”) which may result in you being dehydrated please contact us or your GP for advice on what to do before you start to take Picolax.
- Amiloride hydrochloride
Angiotesin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE-I)
- Enalapril maleate
- Fosinopril sodium
- Midapril hydrochloride
- Moexipril hydrochloride
- Perindopril erbumine
- Ramipril with felodipine
Angiotensin 2 receptor antagonists (A2RAs)
- Candesartan cilexetil
- Losartan potassium
- Olmesartan medoxomil
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Diclofenac sodium
- Mefenamic acid
- Tiaprofenic acid